sudo passwd root -- operation not permitted

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Sun Jan 6 10:08:59 MST 2013

Thanks Brian.  Once again, you provided the necessary diagnosis,
(though I did need to make one additional change).

The problem was, indeed, with file/dir ownership and permissions.

sudo chown -R joe.joe /home/joe fixed most of the problem
and prompted me to realize that because I could login as 'joe'
on a CTRL+ALT+F1 terminal and gain 'root' access, I was then
able to also change ownership and permissions on some additional
(higher) files that the above sudo command did not fix.

In any case, it all seems to be working now, and I have learned
yet another important lesson.

Thanks again.

Joe