How to add /home to fstab?

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Sat Jan 5 18:45:11 MST 2013

From: James Dugger
> The UUID stands for Universal Unique IDentifier and is the new
> (preferred) way in which the Linux kernel identifies resources such
> as drive partitions

It's much harder to remember c83a5da4-feed-face-dead-beef12345678 than it is
to remember /dev/mapper/vg-home or /home.  Mounting by label or LV name
instead of UUID usually makes your fstab a lot more comprehensible:

LABEL=MALROOT / ext3 noatime 0 1

or

UUID=0ecca871-6fab-4481-9c91-e26148e377ba / ext3 noatime 0 1

?

> Ubuntu (and other distros) now create UUID assignments.

I thought this was mostly because you could have two installations of distro X
on one machine, and if you didn't change the default filesystem labels, you
could have 2 filesystems with label "/home", leading to inconsistent/stupid
problems.  UUIDs are supposed to avoid that problem, but they create a
completely different problem by being longer and harder to remember than
labels.

(And then there's my camera SD card, which has no label, but does have a UUID.
 The camera's tiny brain apparently can't deal with a label....)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows