How to tell what file system type I have?

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 18:21:18 MST 2013

I have slackware running on this beast and cat /etc/mtab worked for me.

delboy at ladmo:~$ cat /etc/mtab
/dev/sdb4 / ext4 rw,commit=0 0 0
/dev/sda1 /home/delboy ext4 rw,commit=0 0 0
/dev/sdb3 /mnt/sdb3 ext4 rw,commit=0 0 0
/dev/sdc1 /home/delboy/sdc1 ext4 rw 0 0

In the above I edited out some other stuff, but this shows the
partitions that are mounted and the file system of each.  All the
partitions on this machine are ext4, but many options are possible.

   Also a partition editor tool such as gparted will show you all the
partitions on your hard drives and what file system each one is
formatted with.  This includes file systems that may not be mounted.

On 01/04/2013 06:04 PM, joe at actionline.com wrote:
> How can I tell what file system type I have on any given computer?

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I'm not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore