How to do a fresh install and protect /home ?

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 08:39:19 MST 2013

If/when you tell the installer to mount sda6 as /home, be sure to use the
same file system type and if the is a check box for whether to format the
partition, be sure it remains UN-checked.

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM, Derek Trotter <expat.arizonan at gmail.com>wrote:

>  While you're installing kubuntu, choose to manually configure
> partitions.  Either do nothing with /dev/sda6 or choose to mount  it as
> /home.
>
> I have one whole drive for my home directory.  Everything else is
> installed on another drive.  Recently I tried several distros.  With each
> distro I chose the option to configure partitions myself instead of letting
> it do the job.  I would either choose during the install to mount that
> drive as my home directory or do nothing with it during the install and add
> it to fstab later.
>
>  On 01/04/2013 12:37 AM, joe at actionline.com wrote:
>
> How can I do a fresh install of kubuntu on one of my systems that now has
> a corrupted pclinux installed, but protect the /home partition from being
> over-written?  Can this be done safely?
>
> 'df' shows the following:
>
> /dev/sda1              12G  5.7G  5.6G  51% /
> tmpfs                 473M     0  473M   0% /dev/shm
> /dev/sda6             168G   23G  146G  14% /home

> "I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."
>
> Patrick Moore

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy). Remove addresses
from a forwarded message body before clicking Send.