ubuntu phone

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Wed Jan 2 19:08:47 MST 2013

It actually seems more usable that Unity on a desktop.  I think I'll
stick with android for now and keep a watch on Plasma Active.  I think
KDE and Plasma Active have the best chance of offering a similar
interface across different devices without making you commit to a single
interface that doesn't really work well on any of the devices.  It
certainly hasn't worked for Windows 8, and Ubuntu with Unity seems to
only be a little better... at least Unity is semi-usable for a desktop,
but people seem to only be getting used to it, not truly loving it.

KDE offers a "Lego" type of interface.  It puts the pieces in one
configuration for a Desktop giving to an experience that feels familiar
and similar to the interface that it's been using for the last 15 years.
  It puts it's "Legos" in a different configuration for netbooks letting
you get the most use out of it's limited screen real estate.  It puts
it's "Legos" in yet another configuration (Plasma Active) for tablets
and smart phones.  Yet across all these devices it keeps a familiar
experience.

You can use KDE's "Legos" to build pretty much any interface you want.
All of KDE's widgets/plasmoids are very configurable bending easily to
your will.  I even recently built a Unity like interface with it, just
because I had been telling people it could be done for so long that I
figured that I should probably actually do it so I could stop using the
work "Probably" in front of that statement.

Brian