OT : DROID DNA by HTC

Kevin Brown kevinbrownbdc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 14:40:35 MST 2013

  On 2/27/2013 2:17 PM, Matt Graham wrote:
> Derek Trotter wrote:
>> Neither the MVD or any other government agency has ever tried
>> to achieve a pleasant or even an improved customer experience.
> I know it's not a big sample size, but I've been to Michigan's DMV 3 or 4
> times, and gotten through fairly quickly and with a minimum of fuss each time.
>   I've been to Arizona's MVD once.  It took a long time because it was
> Saturday, so people who would've normally spread out to 5 or 6 MVD offices all
> descended on the only one that was open.  Yeah, yeah, anecdote != data and
> YMMV.
>
> I also think that people in the last 10-15 years have become a lot less
> patient and a lot less willing to tolerate boredom or minor inconveniences.
> Not sure why this is.

Hmm, 15 years... so about the same amount of time as the rise of
High-speed Internet. Large collection sites for various content (youtube
for videos, FB for friends and likes). Welcome to the world of instant
gratification.

Actually the AZ MVD has taken steps. You can go to other places and get
your car licensed/registered. Can update your address, etc... All the
things you'd do at the MVD. For a small fee. Since these outside
companies make money on the number of people they serve, it is in their
interest to get through them faster/more efficiently.
This is also the reason for the failing of the USPS. Unlike UPS/FedEx
they aren't able to do things as efficiently as they could, like not
doing daily delivery everywhere in the US. I'd settle for them only
coming once or twice a week to drop off mail (since I receive almost
none and 90% of it is undesired junk mail anyways). FedEx/UPS only comes
when A) they have a package for me and B) there are enough packages to
justify a driver on the route for the day. So, smaller communities won't
get timely deliveries, but they still get to benefit from the more
efficient delivery (less cost per package by clustering them).