Suggestions for a reliable Cloud backup solution - FreeNas / Nas4Free

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Feb 22 18:02:52 MST 2013

Amateurs.  Crashplan without a crashplan, or just shitty infrastructure.
  Fire someone.

Thanks for sharing some reality!

/me mentally scratches crashplan from existence

Personally it's hard to want to replicate my personal data with an
external entity in most ways or forms.  I played with spideroak (decent
linux client), but don't use them for anything really.  I don't
replicate data that isn't within my admin control or across a vpn.  Not
to mention wanting to pay for off-site replication of tb's worth of data
"securely" with guise.  Most will answer a subpoena in 2 seconds with a
disk image of your all your data on it, and that is not cool.  Sadly
it's simply a matter of paying someone enough to get it, and there are
far richer than myself seeking fun and profit.

Dealing with enterprise network, storage, or whatever for a bit - shit
happens.  Replicate your data, trust nothing but yourself.

Almost why one might keep a small ebay'd data center around, just in
case.  Two, if you got em.

-mb