MySQL / MariaDB and Multi-Core CPUs

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Thu Feb 21 17:08:22 MST 2013

Hey Thanks! That script worked like a charm. Pointed out some serious issues I
can work on!

This is not mission-critical stuff as I am working on a personal development
box, but nonetheless I want to squeeze every bit of performance I can out of
it!

The box is a Pentium M 1.6GHz with 512MB ram and a 4800rpm IDE hard drive.
Hopefully soon I will be upgrading! The processor can manage easily enough for
most tasks I throw at it, but the low ram (along with everything else the box
does) is killing it.

top - 17:05:44 up 10 days, 18:44,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.06, 0.11
Tasks: 141 total,   1 running, 140 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
Cpu(s):  0.3%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 99.7%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
Mem:    493668k total,   461716k used,    31952k free,    36972k buffers
Swap:   524284k total,   246276k used,   278008k free,   191976k cached

All scream with me now... lol

Thanks for the script. It helped quite a bit! Granted most of the
recommendations won't work on this old machine. Unless I throw a ton of ram at
it, but that is not possible.

nathan