Suggestions for a reliable Cloud backup solution

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Feb 20 13:29:17 MST 2013

> Bob Elzer wrote:
>> Buy a 1TB External usb/Esata and name it Cloud.
>> Then it is still always accessible.

Until you realize you left it on your desk 15 miles away.  Physical disks
still need to be hooked up to something.  I'm wondering when somebody will
hook a tiny embedded NFS/Samba/webmin box to a disk to a wireless card to a
wall wart, then market the resulting brickage as "wireless disks for home and
office use"....

From: Eric Cope
> buy at least 2 1TB external drives, preferably from different companies
> and hope the MTBF is different :)

Did that with 250G disks, and it appears to be working so far.

Paul Mooring wrote:
> Don't forget to get a safety deposit box and rotate which was is
> store in a safe physical location weekly.

If you visit your safe deposit box more than N times/year, the bank charges
you $M per visit.  This is suboptimal.  Cheaper option is to encrypt the
disks, meet a friend every week, and swap encrypted disks, so you've got your
stuff in your friend's offsite location and he's got his disk at your place.
(This fails in case of Godzilla, enormous meteorites, or if your friend works
for the NSA.)

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows