My battle with Earthlink

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Feb 17 21:05:22 MST 2013

Is it an integrated router in the modem?  They tend to suck - might be
exhausting connection limits or something (bittorents?).  I'd say set
the modem to "bridge" if so and use/try a 3rd party router.

Another thing is it sounds like you're triggering something like a
policer that at a high mark "penalizes" you and reduces your cir
temporarily.  Network Quality of Service boxes like Sandvine deep-packet
inspection (dpi) appliances were known to do this as a policy (abuse),
and most isp's have and/or use something like them.  This is almost
defacto in 3g/4g cell networks.

No one will flat out admit to it really in a non-cell network that
"unlimited" bandwidth is advertised and perceived, but even Cox had them
installed and ready to turn on until the backlash against Comcast for
using Sandvine's stopped them.

-mb