Maybe OT: DHS rules on search and seizure without warrant.

James Finstrom jfinstrom at rhinoequipment.com
Mon Feb 11 08:36:42 MST 2013

I think this may be a grey area. It does not pertain directly to Linux but
as Linux users we typically have 2 vices, freedom and security.

If you live in the orange areas(http://imgur.com/r1C3lmy), you are in what
the DHS now considers a "Fourth Amendment Exclusion Zone"...meaning that
it's fine for the DHS to stop anyone within 100 miles (the Orange area) of
ANY US border, without any suspicion or warrant, and search all the data on
all their devices.

“We also conclude that imposing a requirement that officers have reasonable
suspicion in order to conduct a border search of an electronic device would
be operationally harmful without concomitant civil rights/civil liberties
benefits,” says the executive summary.

Absolute insanity. More info here:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/02/electronics-border-seizures/

James Finstrom