network guys

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Feb 10 16:33:38 MST 2013

There is definitely a color code you need to follow for Ethernet.  If
you just use the same colors on both side the wires won't be twisted
inside the cable correctly and the cable will be noisey and give poor
performance.

12345678
|      |
|      |
|[====]|
|______|
   |  |
   |  |

(With the plugs conductors facing you)

1 white-orange
2 orange-white
3 white-green
4 Blue-white
5 white-blue
6 green-white
7 white-brown
8 brown-white

Do both ends exactly the same, make sure you press the cable in so that
all the wires touch the end of the plug.

That should make a good cable.

10 and 100 Mb cables use pins 123 and 6, 1000Mb cables use all 8.

Pin 1 and 2 are twisted together and pins 3 and 6 are twisted together.
  If you just put the same colors on both sides you will at least be
making pins 3 and 6 not have their proper twists.

Brian Cluff