its a pretty amusing joke... (code/geek humor)

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Thu Feb 7 09:34:25 MST 2013

From: "Carruth, Rusty"
> While on the subject of silly unix things, does 'make love' still work?
> $ make love
> make: *** No rule to make target `love'.  Stop.
> To be 'no, it does not work'.

> It USED to say... well, let's see first if anyone has a system for
> which the answer isn't "no rule".

I don't think GNU make ever had that particular feature turned on by default.
I did get that to work at least once, but I can't remember if it was with
FreeBSD or Solaris or SunOS.

There's a list of Unix commands that you can type in that have
funny/silly/unexpected results at
http://www.pvv.ntnu.no/~steinl/vitser/unixfun.html .  F'rexample, start a csh
and type:

If I had a ( for every $ the Congress spent, what would I have?

...however, thanks to improvements and changes in csh and sh over the years,
not all of them produce the error messages they used to.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows