Here's Why Microsoft Is Worried About Google Chromebooks

Paul Mooring paul at getchef.com
Tue Dec 31 21:33:07 MST 2013

While I appreciate your perspective and can understand your concern,
this seems to miss the core of Nathan's point.  Google is a public
company with services you can elect to use (or not use) that only has
access to the information you give it. It's necessary to pay for this
service somehow and Google does that primarily through marketing based
on the information collected.  I think at this point most of their
users are aware of their business model and that information given to
them (and yes typing a query in the search bar is giving them
information) is more or less public.  While I use and love the
services that Google provides and even appreciate my searches being
tailored to my profile, I think it's reasonable and valid for others
to choose not to.  I do not, however think it's fair to claim that's
equivalent to allow snooping on formats perceived as private
communication (skype anyone?)

Paul Mooring
Operations Engineer
Chef