ppa file

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Mon Dec 30 11:34:22 MST 2013

This is a great way to backup a system without actually backing it up
completely, but I like to add at least one additional step, that backs
up the configuration of the packages themselves.
First you need to install the deconf-utils package:

sudo apt-get install deconf-utils

That will give you the debconf-get-selections utility that will give you
the contents of the debian package configs in a format that can be read
by debconf-set-selections; which is already on the system so you don't
need any extra packages installed when you do the restore.

debconf-get-selections >~/debconf-selections

Then all you need to do is add:

debconf-set-selections ~/debconf-selections

before the dselect command.

Alternatively you can skip loading the dselect command altogether and
just use in place of it:

apt-get dselect-upgrade

Brian Cluff