vlc media player

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 11:34:55 MST 2013

well.... because I run a derivative of ubuntu I asked on the OSes support
page and was told to run:
[code]
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-radeon
[/code]
But the response the computer gave was:
[code]
Unpacking fglrx (from ...fglrx?2%3a9.000-0ubuntu3_i386.deb) ...
/usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh:32
/usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh:cannot create
/etc/ati/fglrx-uninstall.log:Directory nonexistent.

[Warning] Uninstall: inst_path_default or inst_path_override
does not exist on /etc/ati. This suggests that the AMD driver
is not installed, the AMD driver is only partially installed,
or the current AMD driver installed is an older version than the
one this script was designed for. Both files listed above are
required for determining where installed files are located.
to force unistallation of the driver by guessing where the
unistallation files are located, set the force option
re-run /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstall.sh (this is not recommended).

dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx?2%3a9.000-0ubuntu3_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status 1
Errors encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/fglrx?2%3a9.000-0ubuntu3_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned error code (1)
[/code]
I do appologize for any typos in the code.... I had to type it in.
Any suggestions now?

:-)~MIKE~(-:

On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 5:24 PM, Michael Butash <michael at butash.net> wrote:

>  http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Precise_Installation_Guide
>
> rtfm.  :)
>
> -mb
>

> On 12/26/2013 05:21 PM, Michael Butash wrote:
>
> sudo apt-get remove fglrx*
>
> How are you installing the driver, making the deb's or forcing the lib
> install?  I'd recommend the packages as that won't be catastrophic with
> kernel updates.  Packages allow for dkms to recompile the module for kernel
> upgrades.
>
> sudo sh ./amd-driver-installer-catalyst-13-12-x86.x86_64.run --buildpkg
> Ubuntu/precise
> sudo dpkg -i fglrx*.deb
>
> Make sure to replace the distribution (precise) with whatever you're on,
> and the filename.
>
> Other than that, look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log for clues, but you're not
> installing the packages clean.
>
> -mb
>

> On 12/26/2013 05:10 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
>
>  uh-ohhhhhh
>  I installed 13.12 with the force option and it installed. then the
> machine said it needed a reboot. so I did and now X doesn't work. so this
> is way deeper than I had hoped it would be but it is too late to go back
> now! so I had read that you need to reinstall X after an FGLRX upgrade. I
> need to go to work now but if you could tell me how to do this it would be
> great. After we get done with this I am going to have a bunch of
> instructional files. that is what I do now.... I copy the instructuions
> into a file and put that into a folder entitle 'computer instructions so I
> don't have to bug anyone about my little problems and so I can help someone
> with the same problem.
>
> :-)~MIKE~(-:
>

> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 4:32 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> figured out the installation (sh <file>) but now it is telling me to
>> uninstall the previous installation of fglrx (which I am doing with apt-get
>> remove). But to remove it it is installing a package called :
>>
>>  The following NEW packages will be installed:
>>   fglrx-amdcccle-updates fglrx-updates
>>
>>  SO should I continue with the installation of 13.12 after the updates
>> are installed?

>> On Thu, Dec 26, 2013 at 4:11 PM, Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> okay....  is installed but they are up to version 13.12 . Time for an
>>> upgrade. I d/l the new driver butdon't know how to install it. The file is