Tampering with hubby's computer

eric oyen eric.oyen at gmail.com
Mon Dec 23 22:13:51 MST 2013

that is possible, but it also depends on how windows was setup. There is an option where windows will check a time server just after startup. This is buried fairly deep in the settings and can be a little difficult to find.

Also, windows (per NTFS journaling) will show the last access date and time (even if all you did was read the file only). In fact, a good computer forensics expert can tell exactly when the machine was started and even how long after that the user started doing things on the machine. THere is also the swap file (virtual memory) to consider. with the right program, one can tell what was in the memory of the machine just before last session shutdown (requires external OS running a package like Encase).

One last item, unless you take extreme measures to erase files, they will still exist and still be accessible (even after a delete).

-eric