package manager

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Thu Dec 19 09:27:59 MST 2013

On 12/18/2013 11:24 PM, Michael Havens wrote:
> That did it! What is the recommended sources.list now? This is what
> is in it presently:

It will be different depending on what you are doing with the machine.
What you have now should be fine for now.

> what if I were to move the lines in sources.list.d into sources.list?

Technically you could do that and you system would work fine, but the
sources.list.d is a very nice place for you and packages to drop
repositories and easily maintain them.  If you were to move their
contents into sources.list, then you would run the risk of having the
package put the repository back into the sources.list.d and causing you
to get a duplicate repository error.

> one final question for tonight:  what is the purpose of
> sources.list.save

That was most likely created when you upgraded your system.  It will
contain a backup of how the file looked before upgrading to the new
version of the OS.

Brian Cluff