This is why I love Linux From Scratch... :(

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Dec 16 18:44:21 MST 2013

On 2013-12-16 13:19, kitepilot at kitepilot.com wrote:
> I need to install Postfix and courier-smtp in Debian.
> If I install Postfix, Debian removes courier-smtp.
> If I install courier-smtp, Debian removes Postfix.

> Does anybody know how to explain to the F$#%ING package
> manager that I want to install both?

Two MTAs at the same time?  What are you trying to accomplish?

I would guess that Debian's package manager is only allowing one MTA at
a time because both packages provide files that have the same names.  On
this Gentoo box, postfix provides /usr/sbin/sendmail , and so does
mail-mta/courier.  The ebuild files for mail-mta/courier have all the
other MTAs listed as "cannot be installed at the same time as courier".
It is of course possible and easy to install courier-imap and postfix at
the same time, and that setup's been working quite well for me for the
last 6 months.

I suppose you could build one of the MTAs from source and install it in
/usr/local/ .  No collisions would happen then.  But I still want to
know what you're trying to accomplish and how LFS manages to handle the
inevitable /usr/bin/sendmail name collision.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity