Stephen Partington cryptworks at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 09:59:29 MST 2013

For Linux based Desktop Virtualization i have had the most success with
VirtualBox. You can even pass some 3d rendering on to the GPU and enable an
overlay mode that makes windows blend into the Host OS more so it feels
like Linux with bits of windows coming in. You can also look up some of the
wine/IE implementations.

There are some other options that are very solid, but this is my personal
favorite combination. And if you want KDE KUbuntu is probably your best
choice. I am a fan of Ubuntu's wide hardware compatibility with laptops.
However it is easy enough to install the regular Ubuntu flavor and Install
KDE over the top from a repo. there are times i do want to switch between
the various Window Managers.

Other Virtualization options i would suggest reading about is KVM/QMEU

Note: IE under wine, is an option, but you will only get to IE 9 , as 10
and later require MSU based installers for the updates needed to run the IE
installer. There is a bug open on this atm but i have not seen a resolution.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 9:47 AM, JD Austin <jd at twingeckos.com> wrote:

> VMWare and Virtualbox should both work well.
>
> -- JD Austin
> Voice: 480.269.4335 (480 2MY Geek)
> jd at twingeckos.com
>

> On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 9:38 AM, keith smith <klsmith2020 at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you might recall I had ordered an HP laptop and after the input from
>> the PLUG list I decided to cancel that order and buy a Dell 660.  It is a
>> i5 with 8MB of RAM.
>>
>> I hope to use that box to replace the two laptops I currently use to do
>> LAMP dev.  The laptop I use for my desktop is running windows.  The other
>> laptop is running CentoOS 6.  I migrated to laptops because of the heat my
>> two mini-towers were putting out.  It does make a difference.
>>
>> I would like to configure the i5 with Linux to uses as my desktop and 2
>> virtual machines to use as 1) Windows so I have access to those things
>> windows can only do like IE, and 2) a LAMP server running CentOS.
>>
>> I was thinking as a base Kubuntu and I am not sure which way to go with
>> visualization?
>>
>> Also if I do not register the windows that come with this box and load
>> Linux immediately do you know if I can find a Win 8 image that I can load
>> into a VM and use my registration key with?
>>
>> I am very new to visualization so any advice you offer will be a big
>> help!!
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>
>> Keith

Stephen