Steam OS was released for all you gamers out there

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Dec 16 09:48:56 MST 2013

I'm curious to see if it's as broken as ubuntu seems to be these days -
feedback from adopters here appreciated.

I spent 3 days last week trying to get ubuntu working with 13.10 on a
fresh install, and since they're forcing use of a desktop cd, and not
producing alt installs now, found the install process to be entirely
broken.  A new laptop with only EFI boot apparently leaves me few
options for distributions, namely excluding debian which I was going to
attempt to migrate to avoid ubuntu's steady decline in
quality/stability.  Hopefully Valve heads this off using the
Ubuntu/Debian base.

I spent the weekend attempting to abandon Ubuntu and learning Arch (or
trying to) after the ubuntu fail, which wasn't exactly easy, and simply
finding just about every step requires some extensive research of
packages, lack of automagical setup, and sadly most any ease found in
Ubuntu I've apparently taken for granted.  Not to mention I'm not
finding pacman packages for most things I need/want (doubt Steam is
going to be supported on Arch anytime soon).

Maybe Valve injecting their two bits around Debian too will help that,
but I doubt it'll support more enterprise-y features like raid,
encryption, and lvm as part of the install features I need. Then again,
I wish Ubuntu would just put it back said features or produce an alt cd
again including them natively until someone fixes their broken desktop
installer.

-mb