OT: Excess files

ChasM chasm750 at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 9 01:02:06 MST 2013

Win-XP shouldn't have IIS cabinet files.
IIS is Microsoft web-server software (and ugly).

The "i386" folder is an abbreviated version of the Windows installation CD.
But something in there is pretending to be an IBM OEM installation.
Find, install and run Malwarebytes, please.

Sometimes the anti-virus guys request file lists of specific folders. So:

You can use the "dir" command with the pipe ">" function.

Start - Run -
Type "cmd", press enter,

  C:\Windows\... _  dir C:\my_path\my_folder_name> file_list.txt

Where "my_path" is something like
"C:\I386"
And "my_folder_name" is something like
"IBM\WORK"

The new file, "file_list.txt" is usually created in the %system% folder,
(where the cmd window opened) so for uploading,
or just opening it, (or finding it) might be another hassel.

Windows itself has too many "excess files" which is why
users (or Linux gurus) may never know what is relevent.  :-(

  (-:  Chas.M.  :-)

> Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 13:01:28 -0700
> Subject: Re: OT: Excess files
> From: joe at actionline.com
> To: plug-discuss at lists.phxlinux.org
>

> I previously inquired:
>>> On my wife's win-xp laptop, a huge number of files seem
>>> to have shown up and I have no idea why or what they are for.
>>> Hundreds of them seem to be in these sub-directories:
>>> C:\I386\IIS6.CAB
>>> C:\I386\COMPDATA
>>> C:\IBMWORK\XPLOCALE