usb drive

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at Smarth.com
Tue Aug 27 13:41:10 MST 2013

(Oh, look!  An old email that is almost still useful.  I'll send it!)

I've heard rumors that if you stick your flash drive in the car for a
day it may make it better, or it may make it worse, functionally
speaking. You will, however, more than likely lose any data on it. Just
rumors...

Beyond that, as already mentioned, melting plastic could release
unpleasant (possibly toxic) fumes, so I'd be careful there (and wouldn't
expect it to do much before becoming toxic, personally).

I'd start trying with a hair dryer, then a heat gun.  Or, just leave it
on the dashboard for a few hours - but you may reach over 100 C...  So
careful touching!

In any case, if a hair dryer doesn't even make it softer, then you're
luck down that path will probably be slim.

I would not try a microwave, even though the effects on the usb drive
WOULD be somewhat spectacular to watch, I hear (well, ok, I'll admit to
having seen a CD cooked once - quite spectacular, but lets not even
CONSIDER the fumes!)