First Job

Trent Shipley trent_shipley at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 26 17:48:11 MST 2013

I would like a very entry level job in programming or in reporting.  I'm not worried about the offshore competition.  The advertisements say that after 5 years you make 60-80 K as a programmer.

I have a degree in mathematics from 1989, a Master of Science in Information Management (from 2009), and more semesters than not I take a computer course at the community college.  I recently finished two semesters of C#.  I've take CS 205 in Java, but that was over 8 years ago.  I just finished the first semester of Java.  I am now taking SQL Server.

I am  working on a Certificate of Completion in Programming at Rio Salado Community College.

Unfortunately, the ads tend to ask for a 4 years Computer Science degree and a year of experience (presumably as an intern or employed in your field while still a student.)

Also, I make in the low 40's with good benefits as an administrative assistant, and it looks like entry level jobs don't come close.

Do I have a chance without leaving Phoenix?