Samba - The bane of my existence EUREKA!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Fri Aug 23 09:18:04 MST 2013

> On 08/22/2013 10:55 PM, Wayne Davis wrote:
> IT FRIGGIN WORKS!

Yay!

> I had to do a bit more investigating, BUT at least you gave the
> foundation
> Matt!   I thank EVERYONE involved.  It was a road to get here, but
> HERE I AM.
> sudo mount.cifs -o sec=ntlm,username=XXXX,password=XXXX
> //<IPADDRESS>/SHARE /mnt/other

This is actually a bit odd.  sec=ntlm is the default setting here on
this older CentOS box.  I wonder if they've changed the default setting
to sec=ntlm2 on the most recent Samba packages or something.  (NTLM2 is
only available on recent 'Doze machines IIRC, while NTLM has been
available for a very long time.)

> I went back to the NAS and set it to "public".  Now I do not need
> the USER/PASS

This is less secure, but if this is only available to your home
network, convenience may be more important than security.

> It wound up being SO simple and I knew it was...

Many things are when you know all the stuff that's happening.  "The
password for this automated job is 'password509'."  Fat-finger this as
'password508'.  Spend a long time wondering why the automated job isn't
working, because the error messages from the job failing are being sent
to someone who isn't me who's wondering why they're getting fail mail.

> Matt, if you're ever up here in North Phoenix, let me buy you
> a beer or 3  (Cave Creek Rd /Union Hills area)   IF your old
> enough to do so of course....

That's a bit of a ways to go for me (Tempe, south of ASU) but I'll keep
it in mind if I'm ever out there.  I remember using Logo on an Apple //c
without a color monitor in the 1980s, so I'm probably old enough :-) .

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity