OT: Windows Virtual Machine Software

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Aug 15 00:54:20 MST 2013

My work laptop was windoze originally, and ran ubuntu 12.04 under
virtualbox.  It was iffy for real use in my case running ubuntu desktop
inside of it.

My intent was trying to basically full screen and forget windoze was
there.  Not so much, tons of quirks, especially using dual display
output on it (that works well better using winxp atop linux in vbox).
Wasn't usable really as a full desktop overlay, especially with compiz.
  It needed disabled to metacity, otherwise freaking out randomly with
flickers and such.

If you desktop instance is more of an app server for certain things,
probably ok doing so.  Same I keep windoze around for visio only.  I
have ubuntu test vm's like that with certain gui app suites/services
preinstalled, but none I use extensively, especially with win as a base.

Well better off using linux as the host, and win as a guest, especially
with seamless mode, it's pretty good under linux.  Unless you want the
touchscreen stuff, win8 seems pretty annoying for anything but fingers
(apparently they didn't learn from unity).

-mb