fix lockup issue left with one core

Carruth, Rusty Rusty.Carruth at Smarth.com
Tue Aug 13 14:56:08 MST 2013

Compare the bogomips of the dual-core boot and the single-core boot.

If the bogomips of the single-core is 2x the bogo of the dual core, then you’ve not lost anything – you are simply letting Linux control the sharing of the CPU instead of the CPU.

(at least for the stupid hyperthreading stuff, all hyperthreading did was give you two CPUs running at half the clock speed of the CPU…  Helped Windows users since Windows did such a bad job of time slicing on a single CPU…)

From: plug-discuss-bounces at lists.phxlinux.org [mailto:plug-discuss-bounces at lists.phxlinux.org] On Behalf Of Derek Trotter
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2013 2:53 PM
To: Main PLUG discussion list
Subject: fix lockup issue left with one core

So far this beast has behaved itself for 3 days.  Today I handbrake on a tv show episode I have on dvd.  It's a 30 minute show and Handbrake normally takes about 20 minutes to encode a 30 minute show.  This time I noticed the estimation of how long it would take hovered around 45 minutes.  I then opened top and pressed 1 once it started.  It showed only cpu0.  Shouldn't cpu1 also be there?  I looked around online and found that using the noapic option in grub only allows one core of a multi core processor to run.  Is there any way to enable apic and lapic if necessary without it causing my machine to lock up again?

Thanks

--
"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore