possible solution

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue Aug 13 09:14:38 MST 2013

On 2013-08-12 21:40, Derek Trotter wrote:
>  It's an HP pavilion, the model is p6-2003w
>  It has an AAHD2-HY motherboard,  AMD E2 3200 Processor
> You might remember over the last 8 or 10 months, I've had problems
> with this beast locking up at random. [...] decided to try changing
> them to noapic and nolapic.  Then I rebooted.  The console
> resolution was fixed and for 3 days now, the machine hasn't locked
> up.

The APIC (advanced programmable interrupt controller) is usually set to
"on" by default.  Setting it to off is only supposed to be necessary on
older machines that have bad/buggy IO-APIC implementations.  (I remember
trying various APIC settings on a motherboard in 2005; nothing helped
because the board was badly designed and built by the lowest bidder.)
That said, you really don't *need* an APIC on a single-CPU system.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity