Simple Small Busines Accounting App

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Aug 12 12:57:09 MST 2013

On 2013-08-10 12:22, George Toft wrote:
> Based on my experience, gnuCash is fine - probably more than you
> need.

Double-entry bookkeeping is useful in a number of ways--mostly because
you have to classify everything when you enter it.  GNUcash can also
generate reports, which might be useful.  I'm not sure if libreoffice
does "print checks", either, while GNUcash can do that.  Make sure to
check the detailed docs at
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/ for how to use the
program.

I may be biased though, since I've been using GNUcash to keep track of
my personal finances since 2000.  It works pretty well for that.

> I had to pay an accountant
> $1200 to manually transfer all the gnuCash entries to QuickBooks for
> the previous four years ($300/year). It would have been much less
> expensive to use QuickBooks in the first place.

This seems odd.  Was a lawyer or accountant unable to use GNUcash to
read your files?  GNUcash files are just gzipped XML and can be
transformed into other formats using XSLT, but doing that can take some
time/effort since XSLT is not really very widely used and is kind of a
pain to write.  (Appendix A5 of the documentation briefly describes
this.)

> will never need to have your accounting records
> reviewed by an accountant or lawyers, OpenOffice should work fine.
> Simply put each item from Schedule C as column headers, include date,
> description and mileage, and as you enter the expenses/receipts put
> them in the right column and come tax time it will take you about 5
> minutes to fill out Schedule C as a copy&paste exercise.

This has the advantage of not requiring you to learn much, which can be
useful.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity