OT: wget in the news

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Aug 11 15:28:37 MST 2013

I think you will find that it's not that it's specifically banned, but
that it wasn't specifically allowed, and therefore it was banned.

I can't tell you how many times I've run into people working in
environments where their project is taking days or even months because a
program they they could use that would automatically take care of their
problem isn't specifically allowed, and often times their IT dept
refuses to even look at the program in order to possible approve it.  In
a lot of cases this means that they are spending 10s of thousands of
dollars in man hours because they can't be bothered to audition a new
program.

That being said, I hope there is a lot more to the courts decision than
just simply a case of throwing the book at someone because they were
using a non-approved piece of software.

Brian Cluff