Simple Small Busines Accounting App

George Toft george at georgetoft.com
Sat Aug 10 12:22:30 MST 2013

Based on my experience, gnuCash is fine - probably more than you need.
I do about as much business (checks/payments) as you and use an
OpenOffice spreadsheet.  I used gnuCash with my consulting company, but
when it collapsed in a series of lawsuits, I had to pay an accountant
$1200 to manually transfer all the gnuCash entries to QuickBooks for the
previous four years ($300/year).  It would have been much less expensive
to use QuickBooks in the first place.  Assuming you have no business
partners and will never need to have your accounting records reviewed by
an accountant or lawyers, OpenOffice should work fine.  Simply put each
item from Schedule C as column headers, include date, description and
mileage, and as you enter the expenses/receipts put them in the right
column and come tax time it will take you about 5 minutes to fill out
Schedule C as a copy&paste exercise.

For example:

	2011 Blah Blah Business
	Mileage 	$0.51 	$0.56

	Income

	Cost of Goods Sold

	Expenses

	Income -- Products
Sold Wholesale 	Income --
Services 	Income --
Interest 	Income -- Products
Sold Retail 	Cost of Labor 	Materials and
Supplies 	Other Costs 	Advertising 	Car and
Truck Expenses 	Commissions
And Fees 	Contract Labor 	Insurance 	Interest -- other 	Legal and
Professional Services 	Communication 	Office Expenses 	Rent/Lease --
Machinery 	Rent/Lease --
Other 	Repairs and
Maintenance 	Supplies --
Other 	Taxes and
Licenses 	Travel, meals,
And entertainment 	Utilities 	Other Expenses

	Totals 	970 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00
$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00
$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00 	$0.00
Date 	Description

Except for 2003-2007, I've been using a spreadsheet for the last 25 years.

It's better than a shoebox and you don't have to learn double-entry
accounting to use it.

Cheers!

George