I need a SMALL motherboard...

coverturtle coverturtle at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 07:36:04 MST 2013

Something to check out Raspberry Pi model B:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi
http://www.raspberrypi.org/
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/category/raspberry-pi/

The Raspberry Pi board also available from Newark or Allied Electronics
does not have a mini-PCI but size would probably fit.
Price in February 2013 was $35 plus shipping for the Model B. Also
available from Amazon.

Model B has
size 92x64x20 (with SD boot card, 109x64x20)
ARM CPU with several linux distributions (I'm running Raspbian)
USB powered (a separate connection - sorry, not a POE)
USB (2)
ethernet RJ45 (1)
DMI (!) and analog TV (RCA jack)
headphone Jack

Actually very popular with gobs of support
but also easy to set up and use.

If you can substitute an SD card and USB power
for the absence of the mini-PCI and POE.

The speed depends on the access time of the SD card.
512MB built-in ARM memory.   Users have reported
successfully running (streaming) XBMC to a monitor or
TV.

I don't know why you want mini-PCI, but if it's for storage ...
then if cost is an issue with storage, you can run a slow 8GB
SD card. If not, a high end San-Disc SD of 64GB or more
used by DLSR cameras can give more performance.

One of the best benefits is that the ARM is low power
and the board is always cool enough to handle.

There is an interface on the board and a few add-ons
are available not the least of which is a USB WiFi "n"
adapter.

Did I say it runs Linux?  There are also special versions
for running niche applications.

So if you are building something for fun or for production,
there are possibilities!

Jon Kettenhofen