SSDs

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sat Apr 20 16:38:08 MST 2013

Sector/heads rather I'd meant, wrong term.  Having to finagle fdisk
specifically to align to the ssd's geometry with -S -H.

I had problems with the bootsector offset stuff between ssd, ata
controllers, and installers by default until I did, having to trial and
error learn manually to get ubuntu happy and efficiently aligned
pre-install.  Was not fun nor intuitive (with bugs hit), but apparently
necessary.  Two devices were two different methods, same ata disk
geometry between them.

It'd be great if an installer could account for things like erase head
sizing from hdparm data to adjust fs/partitions, not sure any really do
yet, or..?

-mb