I'm Attending Defcon this August, advice?

Derek Trotter expat.arizonan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 10:51:41 MST 2013

It seems to me that if I were to go, I should take the following
precautions.

Don't bring my cell phone.  Find a pay phone.

While at the event keep my credit card in a steel container such as an
altoids tin.

Bring cash just in case the altoids tin is not enough.

Take notes using paper and pencil.

On 04/19/2013 06:45 AM, Stephen wrote:
> sounds like there are allot of people that attend to be a jerk to
> others... sheesh...
>

> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 6:18 AM, Lisa Kachold <lisakachold at obnosis.com
> <mailto:lisakachold at obnosis.com>> wrote:
>
>     Laugh!
>
>     If you take that Ubuntu install to DefCon and connect to the
>     network there, every place you connect with/to authenticate
>     to/with will be endangered.  All of the sites you visit
>     irregardless of protocol (encryption) will provide login/password
>     and URL to others listening and MITM'ing.   A VPN is your only
>     partial protection (depending on what your using - no PPTP and
>     easily encroached router firmware).  Just do DefCon,there is
>     enough to do, write about and learn while there.  If you must
>     work, get a room across town (in a cheap fleabag and drive over)
>     although i*t should be noted that ANY protection you would make
>     for DefCon needs to be made EVERYWHERE or you risk pwnership. *
>

>     Someone brought a huge demagnetizer to DefCon 6, carrying it
>     around in their backpack; everyone was stranded since they
>     couldn't pay for their hotel or food, taxi's as about 800 cards
>     were wiped.
>

>     On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Phil Waclawski
>     <phil.waclawski at mesacc.edu <mailto:phil.waclawski at mesacc.edu>> wrote:
>
>         I already know not to bring your regular cell phone, and bring
>         a "burn" phone instead, and I'm bringing a laptop that will be
>         a fresh kubuntu install, locked down etc with nothing on it
>         that I care about.
>
>         Is there any reasonably secure way to use the internet at
>         defcon, or is that a pipe dream? I personally had just figured
>         to use the laptop for offline work (some blender training
>         etc), but I am curious.
>
>         Also, I will have to use my credit card to pay for the hotel,
>         but that will be the only time I use it (I plan on using cash
>         as much as possible at the event). Thankfully my credit card
>         does not have rfid, but that doesn't make it less vulnerable
>         to shoulder surfing and other problems (fake card readers etc).
>
>         So, I've had a bit of advice from Chris Lewis, but I'm curious
>         as to what others think ;)
>
>         Phil Waclawski
>         MCC CIS Faculty

>     --
>
>     (503) 754-4452 <tel:%28503%29%20754-4452> Android
>     (623) 239-3392 <tel:%28623%29%20239-3392> Skype
>     (623) 688-3392 <tel:%28623%29%20688-3392> Google Voice
>     **
>     it-clowns.com <http://it-clowns.com>
>     Chief Clown

> Stephen

"I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if I’m not there, I carry on as usual."

Patrick Moore