I'm Attending Defcon this August, advice?

Lisa Kachold lisakachold at obnosis.com
Fri Apr 19 06:18:13 MST 2013

Laugh!

If you take that Ubuntu install to DefCon and connect to the network there,
every place you connect with/to authenticate to/with will be endangered.
 All of the sites you visit irregardless of protocol (encryption) will
provide login/password and URL to others listening and MITM'ing.   A VPN is
your only partial protection (depending on what your using - no PPTP and
easily encroached router firmware).  Just do DefCon,there is enough to do,
write about and learn while there.  If you must work, get a room across
town (in a cheap fleabag and drive over) although i*t should be noted that
ANY protection you would make for DefCon needs to be made EVERYWHERE or you
risk pwnership.  *

Someone brought a huge demagnetizer to DefCon 6, carrying it around in
their backpack; everyone was stranded since they couldn't pay for their
hotel or food, taxi's as about 800 cards were wiped.

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 4:25 PM, Phil Waclawski
<phil.waclawski at mesacc.edu>wrote:

> I already know not to bring your regular cell phone, and bring a "burn"
> phone instead, and I'm bringing a laptop that will be a fresh kubuntu
> install, locked down etc with nothing on it that I care about.
>
> Is there any reasonably secure way to use the internet at defcon, or is
> that a pipe dream? I personally had just figured to use the laptop for
> offline work (some blender training etc), but I am curious.
>
> Also, I will have to use my credit card to pay for the hotel, but that
> will be the only time I use it (I plan on using cash as much as possible at
> the event). Thankfully my credit card does not have rfid, but that doesn't
> make it less vulnerable to shoulder surfing and other problems (fake card
> readers etc).
>
> So, I've had a bit of advice from Chris Lewis, but I'm curious as to what
> others think ;)
>
> Phil Waclawski
> MCC CIS Faculty

(503) 754-4452 Android