I'm Attending Defcon this August, advice?

Phil Waclawski phil.waclawski at mesacc.edu
Thu Apr 18 16:25:27 MST 2013

I already know not to bring your regular cell phone, and bring a "burn"
phone instead, and I'm bringing a laptop that will be a fresh kubuntu
install, locked down etc with nothing on it that I care about.

Is there any reasonably secure way to use the internet at defcon, or is
that a pipe dream? I personally had just figured to use the laptop for
offline work (some blender training etc), but I am curious.

Also, I will have to use my credit card to pay for the hotel, but that will
be the only time I use it (I plan on using cash as much as possible at the
event). Thankfully my credit card does not have rfid, but that doesn't make
it less vulnerable to shoulder surfing and other problems (fake card
readers etc).

So, I've had a bit of advice from Chris Lewis, but I'm curious as to what
others think ;)

Phil Waclawski
MCC CIS Faculty