How to remove line breaks ... correction

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Tue Apr 16 23:24:52 MST 2013

Correction.  I tried again, and what you suggested
did work.  But the problem is, it removes *all* line
breaks so there are no paragraph breaks.  The result
is a continuous string of text tens of thousands of
characters long with no breaks at all.

So how can I eliminate the word-wrap line breaks
but keep the paragraph breaks?

> Brian, I had actually tried everything that you suggested
> and no joy.  It is line breaks (\n) rather than paragraph
> end that I am trying to get, because I want the paragraph
> ends/breaks to remain.  Even so, I did try the paragraph
> end ($) and that does not work either.
>
> --------------
>> Did a little searching and \n matches the type of line
>> break you get with a shift+enter.
>>
>> I think what you are looking for is to replace a paragraph
>> end which is just $ on the search line by itself.
>>
>> So in libre/open office go to edit-> find/replace, then click
>> on more options and select "regular expressions".  Then in the
>> "search for" field put a $ all by itself and on the "replace with"
>> field put a space. Then just click "replace all" and it will
>> make everything continuous and word wrap on the page naturally.
>>
>> Brian Cluff
>

> -------------
>> On 04/16/2013 04:32 PM, joe at actionline.com wrote:
>>> How to remove line breaks in odt paragraphs?
>>>
>>> Searching the 'net turns up no solution that I can get to work.
>>>
>>> Some suggested using edit > find and replace to replace "\n" with
>>> space after checking "regular expressions" but that did not work
>>> for
>>> me.
>>>
>>> Some suggested installing an "altsearch" extension (which was
>>> ridiculously difficult to find). Searching for "altsearch" at the
>>> libre office extensions page does not find it. Eventually I did
>>> find
>>> it (under a different name) and installed it, but it also does