mail from root

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Sun Apr 14 12:58:23 MST 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 10:39:04AM -0700, Dazed_75 wrote:
> I don't really know enough to give a solid answer.  But since you've had no
> positives and why you think they should be occurring on the laptop as
> well.

The mails on the desktop warn of a rootkit named "Xzibit Rootkit". This
has benn gone over in the past on the rkhunter list and the devs have
declared them to be false positives. Running rkhunter manually on the laptop
gives the same warnings.

> In other words, rkhunter on the desktop is saying something has changed in
> the two files it is questioning.  Just because you copied the .conf file to
> the laptop does not mean the two files on the laptop should be called into
> question.

I Don't believe I called them into question.

> Are those files present on the laptop and identical in every way
> to the desktop?

As I said in my post, since I copied the .conf file to a thumb drive and
then via sneakernet to the laptop, I'm unaware of how they would be
different. Am I missing something? If I am I'll run diff on them but
right now I can't see how the copy could change.

--
Bob Holtzman
If you think you're getting free lunch,