SSDs

Stephen cryptworks at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:39:07 MST 2013

I have been running an SSD on my main work system for a year, and hwile
they are expensive i find them completely worth it for day to day disk
access. even with something as bloated and overly chatty as windows it has
been great. they have wear leveling algorithms to make sure you don't kill
spots in the drive. and they have brought the prices down to a very
reasonable level. however do your research on models/brand for
reliability/quality. there are some good consumer drives, but also some
very iffy ones.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:52 PM, Nadim Hoque <nadimhoque at gmail.com> wrote:

> Technically they are supposed to last just as long as regular hard drives
> but again the problem is that no one really tested in a production
> environment. From what I hear (I may be wrong) but most people use the ssd
> essentially as a cache space and even in enterprises they do. This is what
> I suggest you do with the SSD so that if the drive does die, you don't lose
> your important data.
>

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Derek Trotter <expat.arizonan at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I have a question about SSDs.  I've read that they like the USB thumb
>> drives can be written to a certain number of times before they fail.  What
>> is the expected lifetime of an SSD?  They're terribly expensive if they're
>> only going to last 2 or 3 years.
>>
>> Derek
>>
>> --
>> "I get my copy of the daily paper, look at the obituaries page, and if
>> I’m not there, I carry on as usual."
>>
>> Patrick Moore

>  Nadim Hoque
> Systems Support Analyst