SSDs

Eric Cope eric.cope at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:37:34 MST 2013

There are two major types of SSDs. Multi-level cells and single-level
cells. Multi-level are cheaper and denser, but fail sooner and are slower.
Single level are more expensive, but should fail less often.

With respect to performance, I'd be more suspicious of the software (and OS
for that matter) controlling the drives rather than the drives themselves.
If  the OS is tuned for HDD, then SSDs may not gain any benefit.

The High Performace MySQL blog posts data on SSD performance. Its a good
reference point.

Eric