Home Office Server Security

Paul Mooring paul at opscode.com
Tue Apr 2 08:56:56 MST 2013

Hi Nathan,

In the past when I've done file servers with sensitive data I have used
dm-crypt and LUKS.  My strategy is generally to make a loopback "device"
(actually a sparse file) with dd and encrypt that.  You have to enter a
password and manually mount the partition on boot (I use custom init
scripts for samba), but it does encrypt the sensitive data without the
performance hit and headache associated with encrypting the whole
system/root drive.

There definitely is a performance hit here, so if you have misc data that
doesn't need encryption it might be in your best interest to not do so.  I
generally have shares like Public or Media unencrypted with other more
secured shares that are.

--
Paul Mooring
Systems Engineer and Customer Advocate