How to reprogram the M$ key?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Sep 21 22:06:57 MST 2012

I won't argue that, but you're subject to high variability in driver
support from hardware vs. driver vs. monitor support and bugginess
across versions of all of them.  I've seen all kinds of wacky things in
different monitor combinations in gnome/unity/compiz in long-term
production use as every workstation i own.  Joe's problem isn't entirely
uncommon with unity and certain invoked glitzy functions.

Additionally, since being on 12.04 various new and annoying (at best,
worst hard crash) features have been added in unity upgrades numerous
times, remapping new key functions for exciting random fits of
aggravation.  I've wasted too much time figuring out what changed and
slipped in new (mostly the damn lens features that remapped the alt key
at least twice on me).

Unity is much more tolerable when disabled/gutted switching to metacity.
  Use cairo-dock or awn (i use both) and you don't really miss it.

-mb