How to reprogram the M$ key?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Fri Sep 21 21:12:55 MST 2012

If you use ubuntu with unity/compiz, do it from ccsm (compiz manager),
you might have to install it on earlier ubuntu's.  It's usually up to
the desktop manager, which unity is mostly a compiz plugin (half its
problem).  You can set behavior for windoze key ("super" key under ccsm)
there in a number of places and functions.  If you can't find it, select
it for something and enter, it should complain it's in use.

Probably why it freaks your system as you're invoking some video/desktop
action with it that has been known to aggravate gl drivers with fancy
rendering in composited desktop mode.  Desktop zoom, task window
switching, and cube spin mode has crashed me across various video cards
over the years, most of those work with super keys.  Compiz is
technically unstable for me generally, so i use a cairo dock widget to
enable/disable it with a button.

Test your functionality to see if it crashes with metacity replacing the
desktop, throwing you out of gl mode.  Do this with "metacity --replace
&" in a terminal with your user.  My pc can usually run for a month or
so before my video drivers will have caused enough destabilization to
force a reboot.  With compiz - days.  Lots of video wonkiness if you use
hardware rendering libs like vdpau or ati's with compiz too.

Kde is different as mentioned too, but it has plenty of gl-based
function to cause issues potentially with plasma too.

You'll find this differs under any form of compiz direct gl rendering
with desktop functions, hardware/drivers, and ram amounts.  ymmv.

-mb