why /var/log/messages went crazy?

JD Austin jd at twingeckos.com
Fri Sep 14 23:24:17 MST 2012

Try going into your bios and disabling ACPI (power management)

What I found helped out was going into my BIOS settings at boot-up time
with F11. Then going into the Power tab and disabling ACPI. Then I still
get about 10 errors like the one above when I startup, but at least its not
the constant log filling that was happening before. I found some
documentation listing the BIOS in the SR1700 series of Compaqs as broken.

http://www.columbia.edu/~ariel/acpi/acpi_howto.txt