Helping a Japanese Ftiend

Dazed_75 lthielster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 22:46:20 MST 2012

Thanks for the replies folks!

Derek, this DVD has been tried in 5 players and on 2 computers.  The only
on that will play it is a 5 year old all region player belonging to the
lady's friend somewhere across town.

Matt, I do not know what the video encoding is.

larry at hammerhead:~$ regionset /dev/sr0
regionset version 0.1 -- reads/sets region code on DVD drives
Current Region Code settings:
RPC Phase: II
type: NONE
vendor resets available: 4
user controlled changes resets available: 5
drive plays discs from region(s):, mask=0xFF

Would you like to change the region setting of your drive? [y/n]:y
Enter the new region number for your drive [1..8]:2
New mask: 0xFFFFFFFD, correct? [y/n]:y
Region code set successfully!
larry at hammerhead:~$ man mount
larry at hammerhead:~$ mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/dvd/
mount: only root can do that
larry at hammerhead:~$ sudo mount -t iso9660 /dev/sr0 /media/dvd/
mount: block device /dev/sr0 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sr0,
       dmesg | tail  or so

So I think you are right that yours was not set for any region as was mine
and now I have set it back to region 1 (saw no way to UNset 2).

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 6:13 PM, Matt Graham <danceswithcrows at usa.net>wrote:

> From: Dazed_75
> > Helping a Japanese friend trying to play a DVD her brother in Japan made.
> > It plays in someone else’s all region DVD player
>
> So it's a regular DVD with MPEG-2 video on it?
>
> > UDF-fs: error (sr0): __udf_read_inode: (ino 1989838) failed
> > UDF-fs: Failed to read VAT inode from the last recorded
> > block (1989838), retrying
>
> This probably doesn't have a UDF filesystem on it.  Try mounting it with -t
> iso9660 .  You may have to turn your automounter off temporarily.  Region
> codes may be another factor.  If you have regionset installed, run
> "regionset
> /dev/scd0" with a DVD in the drive, see what that tells you.  Mine says
> "drive
> plays discs from region(s):, mask=0xFF" which makes me think it's
> region-free,
> but I don't know for sure since all I have are region 1 DVDs.
>
> > IN=virbr0 OUT=MAC=01:00:5e:00:00:01:da:48:0c:9b:27:c4:08:00
> > DF PROTO=2
> >
> > Does anyone know if that DF PROTO means region 2 which includes Japan?
>
> That's a networking message, as the network interface name virbr0 and the
> MAC
> and the IP address should've told you.  PROTO 2 is IGMP, which is really
> not
> relevant to your DVD problem.  You may want to take your firewall and tell
> it
> to be less verbose.
>
> --
> Matt G / Dances With Crows
> The Crow202 Blog:  http://crow202.org/wordpress/
> There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see

Dazed_75 a.k.a. Larry

Please protect my address like I protect yours. When sending messages to
multiple recipients, always use the BCC: (Blind carbon copy) and not To: or
CC:. Remove all addresses from the message body before sending a Forwarded
message. This can prevent spy programs capturing addresses from the
recipient list and message body.