making PDFs workable

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Sep 11 16:33:12 MST 2012

I think I remember that you were running KDE..  If so, the Okular PDF
viewer will allow you to copy and paste, you just need to be in
selection mode (Don't polute your KDE install with evince).  Just click
the "selection" icon or pick "tools -> selection" from the menu (ctrl-3
will do it too).

You can also load the "libreoffice-pdfimport" package and load PDFs
directly into openoffice.

Also inkscape can do a VERY good to percfect job of loading a PDF, the
quality being mostly dependent on if you have all the fonts installed
that the PDF is using, but it can only handle a single page at a time.

If you have been doing any of that with no luck, you might have a PDF
where the text is actually a graphics and nothing will allow you to copy
and paste text in it.  You best bet for those is to extract the graphics
out of the PDF and see if one of the OCR software packages can turn it
into text for you.

Brian Cluff