mk802, g-82

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Fri Oct 19 23:16:52 MST 2012

Am 19. Oct, 2012 schwätzte Joseph Sinclair so:

> I'll answer the 2160p question:
> 2160p is 4K UHD resolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2160p).

I presumed it was something like that. Sounds like we're finally hitting
resolution good enough to use for a monitor.

/me waits for the 600" 4320p display :).

> This probably doesn't fit your preferences (particularly the load a distro part), but it doesn't get much simpler than a Roku stick (http://www.roku.com/streamingstick) if you have a TV with a MHL compatible HDMI port, and the remote is the TV's remote (also, there's a smartphone app).

Yeah, roku depends on an Internet connection and that is far from certain
in this case.

MHL means one remote controls both TV and the plugin device? Do you have
to switch back in forth like TV/Sat/DVD/AUX or can you just change
channels or change volume and the correct thing happens?

Finally found a video showing a remote with a TV to control a phone over
MHL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmuvzfkyP78

I don't see him changing volume, but I would think the TV could be kept at
constant volume and changing the phone volume would be sufficient.

What about for the roku stick?

What about integration with an OTA receiver? Can Roku handle that as a
channel?

I need simple. While the person is intelligent, whatever I set up might be
a brand new interface to learn multiple times a day on the bad days.

ciao,

der.hans
#  "He read his obituary with confusion." -- Steven Meretzky