Question about linux and AMD based chipsets/onboard raid

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Oct 18 11:50:57 MST 2012

Do you have any flash drives or anything connected it's getting confused
with?  Occasionally my computer will reboot with a few flash drives I
have I forget can/are bootable and my system will boot foreignly
freaking me out for 2 seconds until I scowl and disconnect the flash.
When I don't, I go on a goose chase forgetting about it, and usually
ends up a flash disk plugged in somewhere.

Otherwise I'll say your system is still seeing the disks and trying to
boot a raw partition vs using the fakeraid labels.  Windoze loves mbr,
linux tends to be partition based with supersector, add in fakeraid, and
I never had a good time trying.  The os usually still sees the disks
present, so wouldn't surprise me if the bootloader and kernel get them
confused in reference as udev builds device resources.  Might need to
hack around with udev to NOT see them if the bios doesn't have an option
to hide them entirely (or fix a bug potentially not hiding them).

I insisted on raid1 for both, what usually worked for me was using linux
first, or your /boot partition first, then windoze, then another
partition as a lvm for ubuntu.  If windoze is first, it always screws
with it, aside from just frying your mbr.  As long as the first
partition is neutral, they seem to both behave.  I made the raid disk
partition a first 200mb slice to use for /boot first, second a win
partition, third linux.  Partition the three with a bootable linux
cd/flash first to the /dev/mapper/<raid disk> devices but don't install
it, reboot/install windoze (xp at least, ymmv above as I don't know),
then install ubuntu with /boot on first and everything else in the third
(I do lvm pv here), and install grub to mbr to overwrite windoze's.

This worked reliably with both then until a nforce bios update incident
changed the uuid hash for it and breaking grub and windoze from booting.
  I was not amused, and put a knife into ever using fakeraid again.
Google the term and you'll read the hate stories too rife with issues.
By that point I used only ubuntu anyways, so just ran software raid
since mostly reliably.

Windoze lives in a vm entirely for me nowadays, but then again I don't
game on it either, so I can.  Vbox 3d drivers in win vm are still poop
and made the host unstable for me to try and game.  Only purpose I has
for windoze was games and visio, visio works dandy in 2d.  Rest I have
consoles for, though I can't do fps without wsad and a mouse for the
life of me.

-mb