fill out forms

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Wed Oct 17 12:07:52 MST 2012

From: Lester Waltz
> I open [PDFs] with gimp, add the text, save as a picture, and send
> back to whomever. Most can print the picture just like printing a pdf.

This fails miserably when the PDF has a form with logic inside it.  The AZ
income tax forms in PDF have logic like that in them--you enter the numbers
from your W-2, 1099, and various schedules, and the PDF computes your tax
liability/surplus and pretty-prints it.  The only way I was able to fill that
out and have it work properly was with Acrobrat Reader.  evince/kpdf wouldn't
do it.

<TANGENT>
About ten years ago, a Grumpy Old Sysadmin said, "Due to some sort of
conversion issue in the PDF -> PS -> PCL chain, when I printed my 1040 form,
there was a giant Euro symbol covering 2/3 of the page.  The conspiracy
theorists would have loads of fun with that."
</TANGENT>

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows