Tuning MySQL DB server

Matt Graham danceswithcrows at usa.net
Fri Oct 12 14:02:05 MST 2012

From: Vimal Shah <vimals at sokikom.com>
> This led to the discovery that 32-bit version of Ubuntu will not allow
> MySQL to use any more that 2GB.

This seems odd, since a single process on 32bit should be able to malloc()
3G.

> 64-bit Ubuntu 10.04, I am *still unable to get to the box to use all the
> memory*.  I feel that the DB server should be using more RAM. Can someone
> point out the flaws in my process or

What's your my.cnf look like?  If there isn't one, what's the text you get
back from "ps auxw | grep /usr/sbin/mysqld" ?  The defaults for the innodb
buffer pool/key buffer/sort buffer and all those things are probably smaller
than they should be for a machine that's got 8G and is a dedicated DB box.

--
Matt G / Dances With Crows